If you’re going to pursue something, ensure that your heart is in it. Too many times people pursue things just because others are doing it and along the way grow tired of what they once thought was a great idea.
A few years ago, a friend shared that an acquaintance started a business with the sole purpose of putting another out of business. Today, that company no longer exists. The aforementioned was the individual’s first mistake. Although the individual’s eyes were fixated on the top of the ladder, the negative passion this individual carried eventually knockedhim/her down.
It’s okay to be inspired by what someone else has done. For instance, you can say “I really admire Andy. At 34, he has opened four carwash businesses and he always gives back to his community. I aspire to be like him.”
When the goal is solely to put Andy out of business, however, you lose sight of what’s important. Why would you want to throw Andy out of business when there is room for everyone at the table? Remember: it’s how you think that will make you stand out from the crowd. It’s okay for you to want your company to be the leading company in its area; we all want the best slice of cake. However, don’t tear another down in the process.
Time and time again, people tell me “I wish I had your job!” What most, if not all, fail to realize is that the job comes with a lot of sacrifice.These individuals focus solely on the perks of the job and if one pursues something, solely for its perks, then they’re most likely setting themselves up for failure as they’re not prepared for the job at hand.
Here are a few tips for success:
- If you’re going to pursue something, give it your all. Remember that even the very thing you lovecan become challenging along the way; work hard and let your passion motivate you when you feel like giving up. P.S. Remember to breathe!
- Be honest. ‘Honesty is the best policy,’ I’m sure you’ve heard that before, and those who are honest are always rewarded.
- Learn from others. Look at the successful people in your field. How did they get there? What motivated them? How can you make an impact and become even greater than these household names?
- Get back up! Many times people get their breakthrough shortly after they thought about quitting. You’ve worked hard and you’ve invested so much time and energy into your craft. What was all the hard work for? Make it count!
- Be patient. Good things come to those who wait. Sometimes we’re so eager to get to the top of the ladder, that we skip steps, only to fall right back down. Take your time, you’ll get there.
- Sacrifice.Ahhh. That thing called ‘sacrifice’. Most times it’s no fun but this is exactly why it’s called a ‘sacrifice’. Sometimes in order to grow, you’ll have to give up a lot. Ask yourself: ‘How bad do I want it?’
Hope this helps! Have a good weekend guys!